This Baked Caprese Chicken combines the Italian flavors of garlic, tomato, balsamic, fresh mozzarella, and basil into one easy skillet recipe. It’s quick to prepare, and ready in under 40 minutes!
If you’re looking for one more way to use up all of those garden tomatoes, look no further than this baked caprese chicken!
See, I have plenty of recipes using chicken thighs -- like my air fryer chicken thighs and my pan-seared chicken thighs -- but I think it’s about time I had more chicken breast recipes to my recipe index.
I adore this recipe because it’s made in one skillet in under 30 minutes, and it’s an incredibly flavorful way to prepare chicken.
- Each bite has the fresh, bold Italian flavors of basil, garlic and balsamic.
- The chicken is well-seasoned, perfectly tender, and pairs well with burst grape tomatoes.
- A one-skillet recipe that’s ready in under 40 minutes!
This list is to provide further clarification on a few of the ingredients. The full ingredient list is provided below in the recipe card.
- Chicken - Chicken breast; preferably smaller sized, though if the grocery store only sells larger ones, you can slice them in half to create thinner chicken breasts.
- Italian seasoning - Adds a ton of flavor to the chicken. If you need a substitution, try using garlic herb seasoning instead.
- Tomatoes - Grape or cherry.
- Balsamic - Pairs well with the other flavors, and helps to keep the chicken nice and moist.
- Mozzarella - I like using the fresh pearl mozzarella balls, but you can use slices of fresh mozzarella if you prefer. If you go this route, top each chicken breast with a thin slice of mozzarella before baking.
- Basil - Fresh basil -- wait until you’re ready to serve the chicken before sprinkling some on top.
Step 1: Season the chicken. Place the chicken on a cutting board, then top it with a piece of plastic wrap. Pound the chicken down so that it’s all the same thickness, then drizzle it with olive oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning and salt.
Step 2: Pan-sear the chicken. Next, heat oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat, then place the chicken smooth side-down and pan-sear it for 4 minutes. Flip it over and cook it for 3 minutes before removing it from the heat.
Step 3: Add the remaining ingredients. Add the tomatoes and garlic to the skillet, then drizzle everything with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Step 4: Bake. Bake the chicken at 400° for 20-25 minutes, or until it’s reached an internal temperature of 165°.
Step 5: Add the cheese. Last, add the mozzarella to the skillet, then broil the dish for 2-3 minutes until the cheese has slightly melted. Sprinkle the chicken with fresh basil and a drizzle of balsamic glaze and enjoy!
Expert tips and FAQs
- Besides the chicken being cooked through, you’ll know this dish is done when most of the tomatoes have burst and the cheese is melted.
- If you’re using bone-in chicken thighs, you’ll have to bake them for closer to 30 minutes -- be sure to check the internal temperature before removing them from the oven!
- If you want to add even more flavor, try adding sliced red onion to the skillet and/or fresh pesto after the chicken is done (before serving).
What temperature should chicken be cooked at in the oven?
Cook the chicken at 400°F until it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF. You can measure the temperature using a meat thermometer.
Can this be made with chicken thighs instead?
Yes! I haven’t tested it, but if you want to go this route, you’ll bake the chicken for less time, between 15-20 minutes. You also don’t need to pan-sear the thighs as long -- 2 minutes per side should be enough.
How can I make a homemade balsamic glaze?
Though I tend to use store-bought glaze, you can absolutely make your own. Cafe Delites has a simple recipes for homemade balsamic glaze reduction.
What can I serve with caprese chicken?
More easy chicken recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Baked Caprese Chicken
- 4 small chicken breasts (see notes)
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup grape tomatoes sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup pearl mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze optional
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place chicken on a cutting board, then top it with a piece of plastic wrap. Pound the chicken down so it's all the same thickness. Remove the plastic wrap, then drizzle the chicken with 1 tbsp olive oil, and sprinkle it with the Italian seasoning and salt, using your hands to press the seasoning into the chicken.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Place the chicken smooth side down into the skillet and sear it for 4 minutes, then flip it over and sear it for 3 minutes; remove the skillet from the heat.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic to the skillet then drizzle everything with the remaining oil and balsamic. Place the skillet in the oven and bake the chicken for 20-25 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°.
- Remove the skillet, then add the mozzarella cheese. Place the skillet back into the oven and set your oven to BROIL. Broil the chicken for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the skillet and sprinkle everything with fresh basil. Drizzle the chicken with the balsamic glaze and enjoy!