Cube Steak is a tenderized beef steak seared in beef broth, onion and garlic powder then made with the BEST Mushroom Gravy. A simple anddelicious meal made in less than 30 minutes!
Sometimes I just need to cook some beef and steak is one of my favorites! For more simple to make steak recipes try this Garlic Butter Herb Steak Bites with Potatoes, Brown Sugar Garlic Flank Steak or Creamy Garlic Steak Bites with Mushrooms.
Cube steak is so simple to make and tastes SO good! It is an irresistible steak that is so filling and easy to make. Cube steak is a tenderized meat that is full of flavor. A quick and easy dinner is just what is needed on a busy weeknight and this cube steak recipe is going to be one you make over and over again. This steak is hearty and fulfilling for all the family dynamics. My family craves this steak weekly and asks for me to make it as much as possible. With two growing boys and a husband I am always looking for steak recipes to fill them up in one sitting. This is it! This cube steak is that good and amazing!
Be prepared with this steak too! Tenderize your steak ahead of time letting it soak in the juices and get ready to be cooked. Store in the refrigerator afterwards then when ready to cook let rest at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before cooking. Once ready to cook add seasonings together and mix well over the steak. This steak cooks up quickly and easily in an oven. I prefer a cast iron and a gas grill to cook on the stove top but an electric burner and any style of skillet will still cook nice and evenly. Make this cube steak soon and you will fall in love quickly!
What is Cube Steak:
Cube steak or cubed steak is a type of beef cut that is known to be a tough piece of meat that is tenderized. Usually it is either top round or top sirloin when purchased. It is then flattened by pounding and tenderized before cooking. Cube steak got its name because of the indentations that are on the cube steak after it has been tenderized by a meat tenderizer.
Cube Steak Ingredients:
This mushroom gravy is one of the BEST! This gravy is light and flavorful with that creamy gravy taste. It is filled with slices of mushrooms and onions soaking up beef broth and onions soup mix. Mushroom gravy is one of my favorite flavors of gravy and over this steak it is irresistible! This combination is mouth watering and one the best meals our family loves to make over and over again.
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil
- Cube Steaks
- Olive Oil
- Beef Broth
- Onion Soup Mix
How to Cook Cube Steak:
So simple to make in two easy steps to make and prepare the steak. Then create a delicious mushroom gravy that is out of this world good. Combined it is the perfect combination and so delicious!
- Mixtogether seasoning: In a small bowl combine the flour, pepper, salt, onion, powder and garlic powder. Add the cube steak and coat with the flour on each side.
- Cook the cube steak:In a medium sized skillet add the olive oil. Over medium high heat add the cube steak and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- To make the mushroom gravy: Add the olive oil and sliced onions. Saut for 4-5 minutes and add in the mushrooms until they are tender and mushrooms are golden. Add in the beef broth and onion soup mix and mix until dissolved. Combine the cornstarch and water and whisk in a small bowl. Add to the gravy and mix. Add the cube steaks back to the gravy and let simmer until sauce has started to thicken.
The Recipe Critic Pro Tip:
It is best to use a meat thermometer toknow the steak internal temperaturewhen cooking this cube steak.
Tips for Making Cube Steak:
Combined this steak and mushroom gravy is the perfect combination. It is simple to make and comes together in less than 30 minutes. These tips are here to help you better the cube steak recipe and make this over and over again with ease.
- Let rest:It is best to allow the steaks time to rest out of the cold refrigerator about 20 to 30 minutes ahead of cooking time.
- Preparing cube steak: Be sure to remove any moisture from the cube steak by patting it dry with a paper towel. This will ensure the steak will sear evenly as well as have a crispy crust.
- Tenderize meat:Simply pound the steak using a meat tenderizer. This will ensure the quality of your steak and how juicy it is when being cooked.
- Overcook: It is bestto not overcook the cube steak. It will become rubbery and hard to eat.
- Thicken gravy: Mix together a slurry or roux of cornstarch or flour with water. Slowly add it to the mushroom gravy for the desired thickness.
- Beef broth: For more flavor add in beef broth instead of water.
Cooking Temperatures for Steak:
- Rare:Temperature: 115F; Remove when it reaches 110F
- Medium-Rare:Temperature: 125F; Remove when it reaches 120F
- Medium:Temperature: 135F; Remove when it reaches 130F
- Medium-Well:Temperature: 140F; Remove when it reaches 135F
- Well Done:Temperature: 150F; Remove when it reaches 145F
What to serve with Steak:
Make this a complete meal with classic sides to enhance this cube steak for dinner. I always love a good mashed potato with my steak to dip in as well as the mushroom gravy sauce. A side salad and a roll is always a great way to make this meal satisfying.
Try more of my favorite side dishes:
- Parmesan Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Garlic Parmesan Green Beans
- Roasted Brown Butter Honey Carrots
- Roasted Lemon Garlic Asparagus
How to Store Cube Steak:
- Can you make it ahead of time? Yes, the cube steak can be prepared and tenderized ahead of time to save even more time when cooking. Also, the seasoning and mushroom gravy can be made ahead of time separately and stored in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours ahead of time.
- Can you freeze steak?Yes! This makes a great freezer meal. Let cool completely after being cooked and place in a ziplock bag or airtight container. Add the steak with the gravy and freeze laying flat for 1 to 3 months. When ready to warm up, place in the refrigerator overnight to thaw completely.
- How to reheat steak: Cube steak can be warmed up in the oven, on a skillet or in the microwave. Gently warm up the cube steak slowly until it is warmed through.
More Amazing Steak Recipes:
- Lemon Garlic Butter Flank Steak with Mushrooms
- Perfectly Juicy Grilled Steak
- Amazing Steak Fajitas
- Skillet Salisbury Steak
- Grilled Steak Fajita Skewers with Avocado Chimichurri
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound cube cube steaks about 4
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 6 ounce mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
In a small bowl combine the flour, pepper, salt, onion, powder and garlic powder. Add the cube steak and coat with the flour on each side.
In a medium sized skillet add the olive oil. Over medium high heat add the cube steak and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
To make the mushroom gravy: Add the olive oil and sliced onions. Saut for 4-5 minutes and add in the mushrooms until they are tender and mushrooms are golden. Add in the beef broth and onion soup mix and mix until dissolved. Combine the cornstarch and water and whisk in a small bowl. Add to the gravy and mix. Add the cube steaks back to the gravy and let simmer until sauce has started to thicken.