Did you know you can make the best sushi ever, based on what’s fresh, seasonal, and local? Hand-crafted vegan sushi is one of my favorite special treats. Just get your rice cooking, slice up your favorite veggies, and start rolling ‘em up. You can check out my step-by-step guide for making hand-crafted veggie sushi here. Start with this easy recipe for Farmers Market Vegetable Sushi. This is a tried and true recipe in my house, and I love to let my family and dinner guests get in on the act and make their own veggie sushi roll to enjoy at their meal.
You can use a variety of vegetables for making veggie sushi, such as asparagus, carrots, summer squash, avocados, sprouts, radishes, cabbage, sprouts, mushrooms, cilantro, asparagus, cucumbers, and bell pepper. Get creative! Then top your sushi with a creamy sriracha sauce and extra veggies and herbs.
Make the best veggie sushi ever, based on seasonal, local veggies and this super simple, healthy and delicious vegan recipe.
Brown Sushi Rice:
- 3 ½ cups cooked short grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, gluten-free
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- 2 cups assorted vegetables, sliced into thin strips or small pieces, such as:
- Carrots, peeled, sliced into thin matchstick strips
- Cucumbers, sliced into thin matchstick strips
- Asparagus spears, thin, sliced
- Microgreens or sprouts
- Avocado, sliced thinly
- Green onion, sliced
- Mushrooms, sliced
- Summer squash, sliced into thin matchstick strips
- Bell pepper, thinly sliced
- Cilantro leaves
- Arugula or spinach, small leaves
- Radishes, sliced into thin matchstick strips
- Broccoli florets, thinly sliced
- Snow peas, sliced into thin slivers
- Red cabbage, sliced into thin slivers
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 4 sheets Nori roasted seaweed
- Cilantro, green onions, basil (as desired)
- Additional vegetables (as desired)
Creamy Sriracha Sauce:
- To make Brown Sushi Rice: Cook short-grain brown rice according to package directions (about 45 minutes). Cool for 10 minutes.
- Place soy sauce, vinegar and agave in a small microwaveable dish and heat for 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Pour over rice and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Prepare 2 cups of assorted vegetables into thin pieces as described and place on a large dish.
- On a clean cutting board, place a sushi mat or a piece of plastic wrap.
- Place one sheet of Nori seaweed, shiny side down, lengthwise on sushi mat or plastic wrap.
- Measure out about 7/8 cup of rice and spread it out evenly with a spoon or wet hands over Nori sheet, leaving a margin of about one-fourth of the length of the Nori sheet on the right side.
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon sesame seeds over rice.
- Place ½ cup of the vegetables in your desired combination on the margin of the Nori sheet that has no rice.
- Starting with the vegetable side, roll the sushi tightly, pressing with either the mat or the plastic wrap to make a tight, cylindrical roll, until you reach the end of the Nori sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the roll into 8 slices. Repeat four times with all ingredients.
- Make the Creamy Sriracha Sauce by combining vegan mayonnaise, sriracha sauce, ginger, agave, and lemon juice in a small dish.
- Arrange sushi rolls on a platter with additional vegetables, sprouts, or greens. Drizzle Creamy Sriracha Sauce Garnish over the rolls, and garnish with cilantro, green onions, or basil, as desired.
- Makes 8 servings (1/2 roll each).
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Asian, American
- Serving Size: 1/2 sushi roll each
- Calories: 137
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 123 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g
For more plant-powered recipes, check out some of my favorites:
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, click here.