Keto Shrimp in Tomato Basil Cream Sauce is a restaurant-style Italian recipe that will present like an expensive dinner and taste like it cost a million! It will be ready to enjoy in 15 minutes and is so easy to make. It is a single-skillet meal that is guaranteed to delight your guests. Or, make this one for your special someone it is a perfect dish for a candle-light soft-music dinner!
Joanie decided this would be the perfect recipe to kick-start our New Year, and she was right. We love shrimp, and this recipe has only 6g of carbs! Shrimp is not only versatile, with so many ways to serve and enjoy, but it is also consistent and easy to prepare. If you are looking for staple Keto dishes, shrimp must be high on your list. It is definitely Tasty Low Carb. You might also enjoy the following shrimp recipes on our site:
- Keto Skillet Gnocchi with Shrimp and Asparagus
- Shrimp Egg Foo Young
- Low Carb Tempura Shrimp with Dipping Sauce
- Shrimp Grilled with Smoked Paprika Aioli
- Shrimp in Red Sauce with Mushrooms and Rice
Whenever we use shrimp in a recipe that calls for a sauce or a number of other ingredients we like to use shrimp graded 15-20 per pound. Jumbo shrimp (8-15 per pound) are fine for grilling, shrimp cocktails, and even for Gambas al Ajillo. However, a bit smaller works better for cream sauce dishes and bisque, and ones that have a lot going on this recipe is perfect with 15-20 per pound.
Since this is an Italian recipe, three traditional Italian ingredients provide the blast of flavor basil, garlic, and parmesan cheese. You will need lots of garlic and basil for the dish to work. Joanie buys fresh basil plants. As a result, we always have fresh basil available. She has a green thumb with basil and keeps a plant growing on the kitchen window sill for months. There is nothing better than the smell and taste of fresh basil.
We always chop our garlic fresh and grate our parmesan, as needed. You know that the taste explosion with fresh is so important. However, for this dish we deviated from fresh for one ingredient. Joanie used Original Rotel Tomatoes instead of fresh. She wanted the flavor of the juices and the slight heat Rotel provides. The recipe calls for original, but there are milder and hotter for sale. You be the judge for the level of heat you prefer.
Make sure your shrimp is at room temperature before hitting that hot skillet. Only salt and pepper the shrimp right before you prepare. They will then cook evenly and most importantly not overcook. Since your skillet will be on a higher heat, the shrimp will cook quickly. Add them immediately after the butter melts. You do not want the butter to burn. After the second pat of butter the garlic will cook in one minute as I mentioned, this recipe comes together fast.
Our final tip would be to stir frequently after you have reduced the heat to medium low. You want the cream sauce to thicken and this will happen as the temperature drops. You can also double the sauce and use the recipe over zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice. We like it plain, as it is rich and filling!
Keto Shrimp in Tomato Basil Cream Sauce A Touch of Italy in a Tasty Keto Recipe
Keto Shrimp in Tomato Basil Cream Sauce is a touch of Italy in a Tasty Keto recipe. It is loaded with garlic and basil. What could be more delicious? Try it with perfectly cooked shrimp, scallops, or even lobster meat. And, make sure to enjoy just a bit of white wine a perfect pairing!
Keto Shrimp in Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds Shrimp peeled and deveined, 15-20
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 6 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup Cream
- 1 10.5 ounces Rotel tomatoes original version
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 teaspoon Oregano dried
- 3/4 cup Basil fresh julienned, loosely packed
- Pat room temperature shrimp dry. Season shrimp with sea salt and pepper.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook for 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Take the skillet off the heat while you remove the shrimp and reserve to a plate.
- With the skillet still off the heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the heavy cream, parmesan cheese, oregano, and rotel tomatoes (with juices). Combine well. Back to the heat and bring to a boil for 1 minute, then add half of the chopped basil. Reduce to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add shrimp and top with remaining chopped basil. Plate and serve hot.