This lemon honey garlic asparagus recipe has a crisp outside with a tender inside cooked in a lemon, honey marinade with minced garlic. This asparagus compliments any main dish and adds a colorful feel to the table!
Asparagus is fresh and tasty plus simple to make! With my roasted lemon parmesan garlic asparagus , grilled asparagus recipe, bacon wrapped asparagus or parmesan herb asparagus fries you can’t go wrong adding these sides to any dinner plate.
Roasted Lemon Honey Garlic Asparagus
I am a fan of asparagus! It is green, fresh and the taste and texture is out of this world to me. Making asparagus go from blah to WOW is my favorite! With the help of a few added ingredients this roasted lemon honey garlic asparagus will add to any dish when served together. This asparagus is the perfect side dish for any type of protein or just enjoyed by itself!
Serve the lemon honey garlic asparagus year round and watch it disappear quickly. This is a recipe that you will be making over and over again. It is so simple to make and turns out delicious every time. Simply mix together the lemon, honey and garlic ingredients in a small bowl. Then drizzle it over top the asparagus that is laying flat on a baking sheet. Roast the asparagus and in minutes you will have a crispy and tender asparagus that everyone will enjoy!
Is Asparagus Good For You?
My rule of thumb is if it is green, a vegetable or comes from the ground it is healthy! With the delicious flavoring some people wonder if this is true though. I have great news, it is more than true. Asparagus are full of nutrients and have several health benefits in each bunch.
Here are just a some ways that asparagus is good for you:
- It is high in fiber
- Asparagus contains vitamins A, C, E and K
- Good source of chromium. This is a mineral that will help enhance blood sugar levels.
- Packed full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Has an anti-aging agent that is high in folate and helps with this cognitive functioning.
- Can help protect the body agains certain forms of cancer.
- Asparagus helps rid the body of excess salts
Ingredients to Make the Best Asparagus:
Asparagus is tasty, healthy and full of deliciousness! With these simple ingredients and a quick dressing marinade that is being drizzled over top is the perfect way to add a side to any dish.
- Asparagus: Grab a bunch or two of asparagus at the store. A bunch is already bundled up with two thick rubber bands wrapped around the asparagus.
- Olive Oil: Helps make the dressing marinade over top of the asparagus.
- Lemon: Juice of a half a lemon
- Honey: Sweeten the dressing or marinade with a hint of honey.
- Garlic Cloves: Carefully mince the garlic cloves or use the already pre package garlic cloves.
- Salt and Pepper: Add a pinch to taste at the very end!
Cooking Up Asparagus:
There are a variety of ways to eat asparagus, fresh, baked, grilled or roasted. Spring is the best time to enjoy asparagus and usually the best to pick it too. Quickly make a simple side dish that everyone will enjoy just as quick as you can make it!
- Prepare the asparagus: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Break off the ends of asparagus. In a large bowl add the asparagus.
- Mix together: In a small bowl whisk olive oil, lemon, honey, garlic. Pour over the asparagus and toss to coat.
- Roast on a baking sheet:Lay in a single layer on a baking sheet. Salt and pepper to taste. Roast for about 10 minutes, more or less depending on your size of asparagus.
How to pick asparagus?
It is best to enjoy asparagus in the spring time but asparagus is a delicious year round side dish. Not all asparagus are going to be perfect and structured just right. That is okay! I am here to help and with this recipe we can still create a delicious and flavorful tasting asparagus!
- Thinner asparagus: Look for a thinner asparagus that is firm. Too thick of asparagus shows them being too mature and will be overripe and woody.
- Color: It is best to find a bright green and even a hint of purple on the spears if possible,
- Structure: The spears are best firm and not limp. This will hold their shape as well as show that they are not wilted and old.
- The test: When grabbing a bunch, gently squeeze them. The bunch should squeak a bit when squeezed. This indicated that the bunch is not woody.
- Tips of spears: Try to find the spear tips to be closed and tightly compacted. Mushy, wet or slightly broken are not the best.
Spring time is the best time to enjoy this bright green vegetable. It is full of flavor and health benefits all together. It is a side dish that keeps on giving!
Here are a few great tips to help pick and prepare the perfect bunch of asparagus when making this lemon honey garlic side dish.
- Do you wash asparagus before cooking? I personally wash and rinse all fruits and vegetables. This will help remove any grit or dirt that may have been left on the vegetable or fruit. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Should I cut or snap the ends? On asparagus it is simple to snap off the bottoms of each one by using your fingers. The stems will naturally and easily break right off. You are breaking the tough and woody part of the ends. If you prefer to cut the asparagus that will also work.
- How do you know when asparagus goes bad? A good indicator that the asparagus has gone bad is the tips or spears will begin to go bad. They will begin to turn a dark green or black and become mushy and wet.
Try these Complete Meals with Asparagus:
- Lemon Garlic Butter Herb Chicken with Asparagus
- Shrimp and Asparagus Skillet
- Crispy Garlic Chicken with Asparagus
- Sheet Pan Lemon Garlic Butter Shrimp with Asparagus
- Cheesy Chicken, Asparagus, Bacon and Mushroom Shells
Roasted Lemon Honey Garlic Asparagus
- Large Bowl
- Small Bowl
- Baking Sheet
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- salt and pepper