Sausage Quiche – An easy quiche recipe that is perfect for brunch or even a light dinner. Flaky pie crust with an egg custard that is loaded with breakfast sausage, onions and plenty of cheddar cheese.
My family loves breakfast for dinner. Sometimes it is just basic pancakes or eggs, but sometimes we go all out and make Hashbrown Waffles or other egg dishes. This easy quiche recipe is the perfect breakfast for dinner. Or brunch, or breakfast or just a snack. The light and fluffy custard is delicious and you can use just about whatever you have in your fridge for the filling. Sausage and cheddar cheese is our favorite, but ham, bacon, spinach, an even other cheeses are great.
What Is Quiche
Quiche is traditionally a french tart. It starts with a flaky pie crust that is filled with a savory egg custard with different meats, cheeses, and vegetables. You can serve it hot or cold and serve for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is a rich and delicious dish that can be enjoyed any time of the day.
Quiche Vs Frittata
The difference is really the pie crust. Frittatas don’t have a crust and are usually made on the stove top and just placed under the broiler to finish. The eggy custard part of a quiche has milk or heavy cream that helps it get fluffy, a frittata has very little if any milk or cream, so it will have a slightly different texture.
How to Make Sausage Quiche
- Crust – I like to blind bake my pie crust for about 10 minutes before I add the filling. This allows it to partially cook and not be soggy as it cooks with the filling. It is perfectly ok to skip this step and just bake everything at one time. I just like the texture of the bottom of the crust when it gets the chance to start baking ahead of time.
- Filling – Brown your favorite breakfast sausage and onions together until the sausage is no longer pink. Be sure to drain away and fat or your dish will end up greasy.
- Assemble – Layer the meat and cheese into the bottom of the pie crust. Then pour the egg custard over the meat and it will get into all the nooks and crannies. It is best to mix the eggs, milk, and seasonings together and just pour over the meat and cheese. It puffs up a little better than if you mixed all the ingredients together.
- Bake – Start baking it at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 and let it finish baking for another 35 minutes.
How Do You Know When Quiche is Done
The top will be golden brown and completely set. If you gently shake the pie plate and it jiggles, it needs more time. You can insert a toothpick or knife into the enter and it should come out clean when it is done. If you want to use a thermometer to test it, the center needs to be at least 165 degrees F.
Can You Freeze Quiche
Yes you definitely can. You can freeze it baked or unbaked. To freeze a baked quiche, let it cool completely, you can even place it in the fridge to let it cool down quickly and really set up. Once it is cool wrap in plastic wrap and foil and then freeze. Freeze for up to 2 months. When you are ready to make it, let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then bake to reheat it.
To freeze an unbaked quiche assemble just like the recipe says. Instead of baking it right away, carefully put the pie plate in the freezer for it to set up. Once it is frozen, remove and wrap with foil to store it for 1 month before you need to bake it. Thaw in the fridge overnight and then bake according to the recipe.
What To Serve With Quiche
- Berry Fruit Salad
- Greek Salad Recipe
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Asian Napa Cabbage Slaw
- Sauteed Asparagus
More Breakfast Recipes for Dinner
- Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes
- Sausage Breakfast Sandwich
- Potato and Sausage Egg Bake
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Spicy Sausage Rolls
- Pancake Breakfast Sandwiches
- 1 9-inch pie crust
- 12 oz breakfast sausage
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Press pie crust into a 9 inch pie plate. Place foil or parchment paper in the bottom of the pie crust and fill with about 1 pound of dried beans, rice, or use pie weights. Bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minute remove the weights and parchment paper and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown sausage and onions together until the sausage is no longer pink and the onions are translucent. Drain fat.
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, milk, garlic powder, mustard powder, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Remove pie plate from the oven and layer sausage mixture and 1 cup of cheddar cheese in the bottom of the pie crust.
- Pour egg mixture over the sausage and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Place in 400 degree F over and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and cook for an additional 35 minutes. Quiche will be golden brown and completely set when it is done.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing to serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 521Total Fat 38gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 236mgSodium 1037mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 25g
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!