These stuffed aubergines are a sophisticated meal that anyone can make. They’re filling, healthy and delicious. What’s not to love?
- HIGH PROTEIN
- MAIN OR LIGHT MEAL
- READY IN 30 MINUTES
Aubergines have a fantastic flavour and make a great alternative to stuffed peppers. Their boat-like shape means you can stuff them full of lentil goodness. The filling can be adjusted to include whatever spices or veggies you fancy. The key ingredients are tahini and chilli, which give this dish its unique taste.
- 1 aubergine – half an aubergine per person
- Cooked legumes – I used a pre-cooked packet of mixed lentils
- 1 table spoon of tahini
- 1 teaspoon of chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon of Italian herbs and fresh basil or coriander if you have it
- 1 tablespoon of tomato purée
- Diced onions, peppers and mushrooms
- Frozen peas
- Serve with asparagus and tomatoes (optional)
- Cut the aubergine in half (long-ways). Drizzle with oil and season
- Place in the oven flesh-side down on 200 degrees and cook for twenty minutes. In the final six minutes of cooking, cover the asparagus tips in a light layer of oil or butter and add to the oven
- Whilst the aubergine is cooking, heat oil in the pan
- Add the diced veggies, garlic and spices and stir fry until soft
- Add the legumes with a small cup of water
- Stir in the tahini and tomato purée
- Simmer for a few minutes
- Use a fork to make a dip in the aubergines
- Fill the aubergines with the lentil mixture
- Bon appétit!