- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2-4 tablespoons Thai green curry paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 pound firm white fish (halibut, cod, haddock, tilapia, etc.), cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup Thai basil (or basil), sliced
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, add the curry paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, kaffir lime leaves, fish and asparagus, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the fish is cooked and the asparagus is tender, about 5 minutes, before adding the peas and basil and removing from the heat.
Option: For One-Pan: Make this a one-pan meal by adding 1 cup of rice and 2 cups broth or water (or 8 ounces of pasta and 2 1/4 cups broth or water) to the sauce in step 2 before adding the fish and asparagus and simmer, covered, until cooked, about 20 minutes (or 12 minutes for pasta), and continue to add the fish and asparagus and the rest of step 2.
Note: Different curry pastes come in different concentrations so use the recommended amount for your brand.
Note: When a can of coconut milk sits it separates into a clear part on the bottom and a thick white part on top and you can use the thick white part in place of the oil.
Note: Taste test balance of salty, sweet and sour and adjust as desired with more fish sauce, sugar and lime juice.
Option: Use your favourite vegetables.
Option: Garnish with cilantro in addition to the basil.
Option: Serve with or over jasmine rice.